Monday 11 April 2011

pique-nique

Ahhh the art of la pique-nique. Lazy days in the park, gals giggling over fizzy wine, doing the crossword, rolling around in the grass with a playmate, people watching (I mean people-watching not people watching you doing the rolling - avoid prime dogging spots at all costs), daisy chains, floaty summer dresses, that warm fug that rises off the grass. Lovely long afternoons in the sun, chillaxing, drinking, eating - what could be more blissful? As soon as the sun gets his chapeau on and promises a weekend of rays I'm straight into picnic gear, digging out the blanket, cushions, napkins and planning the hamper contents.
As a bona fide piglette I have a propensity to over indulge with picnics, as with everything, and stuff my hamper to busting point with various treats and nibbles. My reasoning for this is not only that I'm indecisive and want a bit of pretty much everything, but also that once ensconced in the safety of my chosen grassy knoll I really don't want to have to leave. Ever. This year however I am vowing to stop this wild abundance, as my eyes are almost always bigger than my belly, and I end up either carting half the goods back home/binning them/feeding them to the local wildlife. It's all about quality over quantity. Cherry picking your favourite picnic pieces with care - comfort food with a gourmet twist. A way to make a memorable picnic.

hampstead hamper
the heath
I feel a person's picnic choice speaks volumes about their character... I can spot a soggy pre-packed egg & cress from fifty paces, and trus' me, I won't be much impressed! Fair enough, not everyone has the time to whip up a homemade tart or quiche from scratch, but picnic food should essentially be simple food, and there's simply no excuse for skimping people.
This summer I'll be going easy and packing my hamper with a good rustic baguette, a small pat of butter, some pre-prepped salad leaves including cucumber, onion and tomato slices, a bottle of organic apple juice and some fizzy wine. Then hitting up the local deli counter for some yummy olives, and a selection of (reasonably sized) cheeses, pate and sliced meats including parma ham and chorizo. Add to the mix a bag of posh crisps, a dip (houmous/tzatziki/salsa are winners) and some fresh fruit in the strawberry and grape area and there you have it. Simple yet effective fayre for two or three people. To up the ante for more of a crowd I would include some kind of cous cous salad, a potato salad, some homemade flapjacks or rocky road.

Picnic-wise I always find you should put the emphasis on the savoury not the sweet. By the time I get round to the 'dessert' course the scotch eggs and sausage rolls have taken their toll, and I can usually only pick pathetically at the edge of a brownie. Picnics are for breads, meats and cheeses. Leave the sweet stuff for afternoon tea. A delicate mille feuille or even a more hardy muffin are for me best enjoyed with a cup of tea, preferably at a prettily adorned table.

Be aware of prime picnic pitfalls:
Pittas/bagels - any type of bread that is better toasted, please abandon ship and go for crusty bread/crackers/oatcakes or a decent loaf sliced at home instead.
Dips - don’t overbuy, they're nice when cool but as soon as they start to turn they lose their deliciousness.
Don’t underestimate your garnishes - a twist of black pepper, a sprinkle of sea salt, some fresh herbs on your salad or in your sandwich. These will add extra colour and taste and give your picnic staples the edge.
Pack well - nothing worse than squashed sandwiches, crumbled cakes and bruised bananas. Instead go hardy - chunky bread, dense brownies and flapjacks, wedges of clingfilmed Spanish tortilla. These will withstand carriage well.
Take copious amounts of napkins and don't forget the cutlery and cups!
And most of all smile and enjoy! We should be proud of our British picnics. Our Brit-nics if you will. The last great bastion of summer Englishness.

So what do you ppppput in your picnic? I'd love to know - I promise you won't be judged (much!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm soooo with you on your hamper! I'm very particular myself but you have hit the hammer dead on the nail! Cherry tomatoes in there too me thinks....maybe some chicken... yum! xxx

    ReplyDelete